Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Vancouver Island Mon Tues









End of Sunday: Found a street person to give my old umbrella to ... she was soooo grateful ... amazing .... and then I found "Johns" restaurant and had a fantastic Eggs Benedict :)
Mon: Had to get up early for ziplining @ Adrenalinezip.com ... definitely in the top 100 things to do before you die :) One of the lines is 1000' long ... you are whizzing through the treetops for at least a minute. The tour is 2 hours long ($75). Miles better than bungee ... should be some photos emailed to me soon of my escapades.

Next onto China Beach for camping ... now I'm just grabbing a campsite as needed .. no more reservations ($6/night). Found some more veggie Samosas and Lentils and rice from an Indian Health food store ... really healthy! Walked down to the beach (2.5 kms) ... really rocky but not bad ... my 1st look at this coast. Had to put on my clothes in the tent @ 3am ... cold enough to "freeze the b***s off a brass monkey" ... once I put a hat on I was fine.

Tues: Morning was good ... didn't spill my water this morning so I had some coffee and oatmeal (instead of a power bar). Read some Muir last night ... really fits this trip ... he was such an adventurer ... real inspiration.

This morning set off for Sombrio Beach at 10am ... slowwww start. Good photos of this beach ... the trek down was in a forest ... at least 20 deg cooler ... so maybe 45 degF ... brrrrr. Thought about camping here on the beach ... but after I saw the spiders I headed for Port Renfrew :)
Probably hiked about 5 kms ... but got a bit cloudy and I need to find a campsite.

No phone or Wifi service here ... but the info center had PCs so I jumped on. Will head back to the East side of the Island tomorrow.

Will write more when I'm back on free service ... this just cost me $5!!

No comments: