Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Catchup @ Kamloops




OK ... finally found a free hour of computer access in Kamloops. This computer has most tools locked out ... so I'm trying to push up the 5 MB images straight from my camera memory card ... sorry. Images are being difficult :(
The first photo is of Miracle Beach where I camped ... good choice ... even did some cycling. This is the beach with the tide out .... when it was in it was almost up to the log on the left. Much drier on the East coast ...
The second is of Strathcona Park in central Vancouver Island ... there were 500 cars at the parking lot for these hikes and that's a lot for VC Island. Its about 4000' ... I did a 10km hike and about half of it was on platforms like this. Absolutely pristine Alpine wilderness (my favorite ... my next 3 stops will be like this). I think they put the platforms in to stop people walking on the flowers some of which can take 500 years to come back if they are squashed. I have more photos and will upload later.

Kamloops is in an arid region between the Cascades and the Rockies ... not my favorite zone but probably the last civilization for at least a few days. I'm heading for Clearwater and the Wells Gray State Park after this and a snack at a local cafe. Stayed at Steelhead last night ... still a bit tired ... the trains go by every hour or so with much noise and sleeping on the ground I can even feel the vibration :) Fabulous lake ... see the recent waypoints ... the lake is 50km long ... would have been fun to traverse it in a high-speed boat (water-skiing for 50km :)). Perhaps my next trip. Lots of fishing and bird-watching available.
The Kamloops tour guide confirmed it ... sawmill and paper mill operations across Canada (at least on VC Island, Lilloeet and Kamloops) are shutting down and each region is rapidly shifting to tourism.
My journey continues ... in the next 3 areas (after driving hard for the last 3 days) I'll be able to enjoy more hiking and photography and continue figuring out things ... I realize now this is part of the normal identity formation ... takes time and reflection.
Will try to keep this up ... take care

No comments: