Sunday, August 24, 2008

2nd Day on Vancouver Island






1st day was bright and sunny ... the crossing from Tsawassen was fun ... very smooth ... I used my binos to check out the Gulf Islands the ferry has to thread through. There are so many homes and lighthouses and the interiors lokok dark and mysterious with lots of private adventures awaiting. Stopped at a Info center after getting off the ferry and found out about Boutchard Gardens and their fireworks. I can truly agree now these were the best I have seen anywhere ... lasted about 45 mins and built in crescendos of sound and light. For the first time, watching fireworks, I felt like a small child seeing them for the first time, with all the wonder and amazement.

I did take a few shots of flowers and one of the band that played prior to the start of fireworks @ 9p (I was at the gardens at 5p to guarantee myself a spot!). I actually fell asleep watching the band.

But I have got ahead of myself ... remember I haven't camped for 20 years ... so I was a bit rusty.
The tent went up really smoothly and the bag and pad worked ... although my old bones need a thicker pad and I just got a recommendation of where to get one :) The campsite is soooo nice ... hot-ish showers are 100 m away and I wandered around and saw every possible camping setup you could think of. Goldstream is a good campsite (and its a provincial park). One photo in here of Niagra falls with the incredibly steep trail leading up to the side

Today its tipping it down (raining) ... so I will spend the afternoon in Victoria with my umbrella.
There is an Imax ... etc. I guess I could put on my cycle gear and try ziplining in the rain :( ... perhaps not ... I'll wait for a break in the weather :) The manager @ Blenz says it should clear up soon ... perhaps tomorrow.

I talked to a nice lady in Blenz ... her name was Lucy ... she could have been straight out of The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe by CS Lewis ... so sweet and thoughtful. She gave me an idea for my class where you use Corn Syrup and food coloring to create finger paintings ... if I used rice-paper they'd be edible :)

I am realizing that it is the journey that is most important and not the destination ... I could be in Paris (especially with all this rain). I did remember my brolley but its getting a bit worse for wear .. so I'm off to buy a new one.

I am getting tips for my next time ... this time I'm realizing its almost a "scope-out" mission ... just heard about Della falls in Strathcona Park (highest falls in N. America) .. but its an overniter.
And I still want to do the whole of Juan De Fuca trail another time.

My friend Allan, in Bellingham was correct, in general the people in Canada are much more friendly, warm, intelligent and curious ... they remind me of the folks in Colorado.

OK ... almost out of juice ... signing off for now ...

1 comment:

Shachi said...

Read both your blogs - I dont know if you bought a pad yet - but Ikea has a nice foam mattress (much like a pad - i recently bought for my sister) - that would work for you....more so because you are going to camp for several days. Ikea umbrellas are also cool - huge with bright colors. Where is Della Falls in the US? If you took a video of the fireworks, upload it somewhere :) Nice blog!