Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wells Gray Provincial Park :)
















I finally made it to the park and am having a blast. The 1st night I crashed at a B&B run by a 75 yr old lady named Clemence (French) ... the fifth photo is the view from the balcony the next morning. I almost felt like one of the family and we chatted and laughed for hours before I had to sleep (at 8p!). The previous evening I'd been kept awake by trains at Steelhead Park campsite (really need some earplugs). The view is of Dutch Lake ... apparently the lake is only big enough to support one nesting pair of loons ... so a battle was fought for it.
The falls is Helmlecken Falls (141m ~ 3x Niagra). There are many falls in the park, but this one's the highest. OK the boat shot is from my own personal jet-boat tour of Clearwater Lake heading as far into the park as I can get easily. The lake is 1200' deep in places where a glacier dug out a huge boulder a mile long and several hundred feet thick.

There is a picture of me next to an old Shepherder's Hut at nearly 6000' on the way to Trophy Mountain ... I climbed up to this from about 5 km away in an hour. I also included a detail of the hut and if you look carefully you can see the sleeping bench near the back. It won't last too many more years ... the logs are starting to rot.
As I came down from this hike I found three ladies (40 year old or greater) hiking up with full 60 lb packs to overnight further up on the mountain ... they were concerned that their might be other campers ahead of them and I could tell them from the tracks that only one person was ahead of them. When I got down I got introduced to Sparky a labrador collie ... who really wanted to walk ... but had to wait for his master Bob to be ready ... so in the meantime he tried my car's front seat out for size :) Bob and I and his mom swappped stories for a while ... with me finishing by encouraging them to keep this wilderness wild ... there are a lot of people with their eyes on the resources ... everything from dams to uranium mining.
I now know why I'm up here ... to learn to discern and follow God's leading without hesitation or question ... and as I'm practicising this ... so life becomes more and more fun and easy to live :) It becomes easier each day.
Next onto Jasper/Banff/Yoho/Glacier ... probably Monday ... there is one more peak (Pyramid) I'll attempt on Sunday.






No comments: